Friday, March 22, 2019

Hello, World! book series

Look at what just landed at Barnes & Noble... a toddler friendly display holding my Hello, W🌎RLD early learning book series! Being an author was something I never thought I could do. Get married someday, yes. Be a mom, yes. Be an artist, yes. But, write a series of books, no way! I’m dyslexic & throughout my school years I felt like a failure for my reading and writing skills. My brain sees letters that jump around the page & it’s frustrating for me to smoothly piece them together. 
Growing up in the early 80’s dyslexia programs were not readily available in my school. I found myself leaning into art & falling behind in what was called “language arts”. About five years ago I got an email from an editor at Doubleday Books. She saw a piece of Solar System art I made & was curious if I’d be interested in writing & illustrating some early learning books. I knew this was a great opportunity (something I’d dreamed of) but, I also thought I wasn’t a writer because I’m dyslexic.
Despite that I decided this was something I needed to try.
I knew writing these books would be a big challenge for me. (Yes, even for a board book with limited text.) Having a generous, smart editor has helped successfully guide me through the process & taught me volumes along the way. 
I’m so happy I said yes to this opportunity! Hello, W🌎RLD! continues to grow across the globe & it’s delightful to see toddlers learning & enjoying this series.
Feels so good to overcome a fear & share your talent with others. THANKS!

No comments: