Today I'm sharing my first quilt. I made it last summer & took a class to help me learn the process. It was heavily encouraged to use a pattern. I thought I'd make a log cabin square quilt. I quickly found out that freestyle quilting is what captured my imagine. No need for a pattern. (at least for me) Which annoyed the teacher.
For the color palette I gathered inspiration from the mimosa tree in my front yard. It's a beautiful tree that is the prettiest shades of pinks & corals. It smells sweet & floral after a rain shower & draws butterflies, hummingbirds & bees all summer long.
I've gathered fabric I find pretty for years & designed many fabric collections. I pulled bits of some things I designed & many of the favorites from my personal pink stash to fold in.
While it was intended to fit a queen size bed with no pattern it grew bigger.
You can see in the bottom right of the photo the original log cabin square I started out with.
Rather than following a rigid structure I found treating the quilt like a big painting is where I found the joy.



No comments:
Post a Comment